Pages

Wednesday 27 March 2019

Exploring Algebraic Equations by Lydia Bloomfield

πŸ“˜➕Algebra - Learning Something New in MATHS!πŸ“˜
IALT: Solve an Algebraic Equations.

Malo E Lelei and welcome back to my blog! Today in Room 9 for Maths, I learned how to solve an Algebraic equation.
Image result for algebra gif


Related image
I asked Mr Janse to give me ANY equation and I thought he was going ask, "34 x 14" or "128 x 6" But instead he said, "2x + 14 = 80" and my job was to find the value of the 'x'. On my first attempt to solve this equation, I divided 80÷14 and Mr Janse said that's not quite correct yet. I was really confused so Mr Janse made it a bit easier and said, "Okay, the value of the 'x' is 33. Find out how and why?" This made it a lot easier and I looked at the equation and said the x is 33 because 33 x 2 = 66 and 66 + 14 = 80!" I was really happy that I had found the answer and Mr Janse then taught me how to formulate it. 

This is how you would write the answer to the equation:

There is supposed to be a dot/space between the 2 and 'x'. 
This looks like:
2.x
The dot means to multiply so basically you're multiplying                                         the 2 by the 'x'.

2.x + 14 = 80
What we're first trying to do is get rid of the 14 so to get rid of the 14 we have to subtract 14 away from 14 which equals 0
(14-14=0)
Then we have to do the same with the 80. For example:
2x = 80 - 14
When Mr Jay explained how to solve this he always wrote '2x =' before he would continue. This looks like:
2x = 66
Which also means 80-14=66
Next you have to divide 66÷2 which is the number before the x. This should look like:
2x = 66÷2
And then the answer will be the value of the 'x'.
x = 33
Wait! We're not done yet. The 33 will the become the substitute of the 'x' and this will make the equation:
2.33 + 14 = 80
Because:
2x33=66
66+14=80

Image result for akoI am really glad I learned how to solve Algebraic Equations and I am very happy that I was able to show Ako and teach Hevani and Grace how to solve these questions! One thing I need to work on is explaining WHY I have to always write 2x=, and WHAT does it do to the equation, but this just shows how much more I have to learn! 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't wait to learn more about Algebra! I hope you have learned something!
QOB: 
Have you ever learned about Algebra? 
What is your favourite subject in school?

Thank you for reading this blog! Bye :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tamaki Primary School, I really like how you have added lots of different ways to teach math equations. You also taught me something

    Regards Bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Tamaki primary school, my name is Jessica and I am a year 7 at marshland school. I thought this was really descriptive and easy to understand, also I have never learnt algebra, so it was great to learn a new thing, maybe next time you could include a video to make it even more interesting, and easy to learn. Thanks Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Tamaki Primary School, my name is Lizzy and i'm a year 7 from Marshland School. I really like how you have explained lots of different ways of Algebra, I think I have learned a few new things about this blog,I think you have actually taught me something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia Ora, Tamariki, My name is Jayde I'm a year 7 student from Marshland school, this post taught me something that I actually wanted to know! I've been trying to do some algebraic questions at home in my own time with my parents, but haven't been having much luck, maybe this will help me!
    Thank you Lydia!
    Jayde

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia Ora Tamaki Primary school, my name is Grace and I am a year eight student from Marshland School, I really enjoyed reading your blog post. This is a really cool way to learn different ways of algebra. Including some pictures or a video may have been cool. But otherwise I think it was an amazing blog post.
    Thanks, Grace, Marshland School

    ReplyDelete